Tuesday, December 03, 2013

Children’s Literature


One of the prerequisites to continue following the rhythm of Communication Concentration catalog is Children’s Literature which is a three-credit course. Even though I had three different classes to choose from, I felt the desire to opt for this class. Children’s Literature was a challenge for me, because I am the mother and the father of my two children. Thus, I wanted to learn more about children and their literature from other’s perspectives. Therefore, I accepted my own challenge of enrolling in this outstanding online-class which taught me the three most significant lessons: How to recognize a good book, how to recognize a well-illustrated book and how to evaluate it, and how to read-aloud to children.

The first lesson I learned was how to recognize a good book. I agreed with Michael Tunnell’s book, Children’s Literature, Briefly, when he stated that “All adults choose children’s books according to some kind of standard” (9). Tunnell states that we can call a book “good,” if the book teaches lessons that we want them to be taught. In addition, Tunnell gives us his advices as a wise guide to follow. For instance, he opines that a good book should have absence of harshness, scariness, and swearing; in addition, he says that a book should have a familiar content, a simple vocabulary, and a personal and/or social preference. Throughout the whole book, Tunnell’s lessons impacted me. After reading Tunnell’s book, I remembered the times when I had to choose a book for my son. I did not pay as much attention as I should. When I read Children’s Literature, Briefly chapter 2, I stated to paying more attention to the written and illustrated details of any book.

The second lesson I learned was how to recognize a well-illustrated book, and how to make a good evaluation. It was because Tunnell’s Children’s Literature, Briefly also. In his book, Tunnell explains that, “Picture books are a perfect vehicle for opening a child’s eyes to the beauty and power of art, because they do not function like other books, where words alone tell a story or convey information” (29). Tunnell also states that young readers may develop a sense for judging quality. For instance, in this class, I had to make five book’s evaluations. One of my favorite illustrated books to evaluate was The Patchwork Quilt, a heart-touching story written by Valerie Flournoy, were its illustrations was made by Jerry Pinkney who made this book story comes to life. I was not only able to understand Tunnell’s lessons, but to apply them in my evaluation. In addition, I learned how to choose a well-illustrated book to bring it to my children at their read-aloud times. 

The third valuable lesson I have learned in Children’s Literature was how to correctly read-aloud to my children. In her book, Reading Magic, Mem Fox explains why reading out loud to our children will change their lives forever. According to Fox, “Reading aloud and talking about what we’re reading sharpens children’s brains. It helps develop their ability to concentrate at length, to solve problems logically, and to express themselves more easily and clearly” (15-16). I was always conscious of speaking to my children from the second trimester of each pregnancy. When my children were born, I felt a special connection to them; which made me feel it was because of my constant chat with them. Fox’ book is very helpful for mothers-to-be and for those like me who want to give their best to their children. Reading Magic really brings the magic to its readers; Fox shows the best ways to have entertaining and educational read-aloud sections with children.

To sum on, Children’s Literature definitively was the greatest options I chose. The lessons I had learned in this class were extremely valuable for all of my roles; especially, for being the first educator to my children. Now, I can define what a good book is, and how to recognize it. In addition, I can wisely choose a well-illustrated book, and pay attention to its details. As well as, bringing those good books to my children’s reading aloud sections. However, the greatest lesson I had learned is the capability to teach each lesson to my children or relatives. 


☻/ L♥ve and ✗O✗O
/▌ From
/ \ PЯiמcєss Đi

No comments:

Resoluciones: ¿desilusiones o inspiraciones?

Resoluciones: Desilusiones. Compromisos sin fundamentos; Solo voces al firmamento. Resoluciones: Inspiraciones. El día a dí...